Although most of our kitchen utensils are made of wood, we may not be well conversant with the best way to go about cleaning these items. Here are a few ways you can clean and disinfect your wooden cutting board rapidly.
Disinfect With Vinegar
The truth is, it is quite easy to infect food with harmful bacteria. Bacteria which might very well end up attacking our internal organs and cause us harm. To avoid such a scenario, it is vital to disinfect the wooden cutting board.
- Clean and disinfect your wood cutting board by wiping it with full-strength white vinegar after each and every use. The acetic acid in vinegar happens to be a very good disinfectant when it comes to harmful bugs.
- Use hydrogen peroxide when you need help in fighting proliferation of bacteria. This will come in handy especially after having used to board to cut chicken or any other type of meat. Use a paper towel to wipe the board with hydrogen peroxide after having wiped the board with vinegar to achieve maximum cleanliness.
- Dip a brush in a solution of 1 tablespoon of bleach diluted in 2 litres of water. Use the brush to clean the chopping board surface by scrubbing in small circles being careful not to saturate the wood. Afterwards, use a slightly damp paper towel to wipe the board before buff drying it with a clean cloth.
Eliminate Unpleasant Odours
Seeing as the chopping board is used often used in the kitchen when cooking, it is predisposed to getting saturated with all sorts of scents. As much as washing may do the trick, it is simply not sufficient. It is therefore prudent to consider adopting the use of sanitizers and stainers.
- Lemon has a multitude of uses among them being aiding in cleanliness. You can use lemons to help rid the board of unpleasant odors by simply sprinkling some salt over the board and rubbing one half of the cut lemon over the surface. You can also opt to wash the board in undiluted lemon juice.
- Use a solution of baking soda, salt and water to make your board cleaner. Apply the paste on the surface, leave it for a few minutes then scrub it vigorously.
Enlivening the Surface
Constantly using the board poses the risk of losing the shine and glimmer the board once had. As much as it is wooden like most furniture in our homes, it is not advised to use furniture polish in efforts to brighten the surface. Of course putting into consideration that the polish might be harmful to our bodies. It is therefore important to adopt other methods to help burnish our boards.
Use salt to add some color and lighten your board by rubbing the board with a damp cloth dipped in salt.